Sunday, October 23, 2005

Ending One Job

I walked out of the Whatever You Want Widgets building about 6:15 p.m. Friday after a day of alternating between finishing up things I wanted to finish and hanging around and talking with all sorts of people that appeared at my deskticle.

The two weeks after I put in my notice went quickly. A lot of the time I was very stressed out about leaving people who worked with me and for me in a bad place because of the mounting workload and some ridiculous commitments made by the company (mountains of widgets promised in a relatively short amount of time). I worked on extensive documentation of what I do and was stupified when I sent it out and it was ignored by everyone above me in the food chain. I also created a staffing matrix that was used since it made so much sense and I gave whoever would listen my ideas about what to do next. I also did a lot of lunches and did my share of gossiping about the present and the future.

There were four leaving celebrations the last week, all very different. Wednesday I took my group of programmers out to a sushi place for lunch--the food was great and it was a nice relaxed time (I expensed it). On Wednesday night one of my old friends (you're not old) invited a bunch of folks over to a nearby restaurant for a sendoff--a lot of tech (and one editorial) people showed up, some with kids, and I think everyone had a good time. Thursday afternoon the department had a wine, and cheese and crackers thing at the end of the day--a lot of people stopped by to say goodbye. On Friday night seven people from my programming group hung out at someone's house and had a good time talking about work and the terrible things that happen on farms (scary).

So this weekend I'm cleaning up all the things I didn't get done (I know I shouldn't care but I do) and not thinking about the next job tomorrow.

Speaking of old jobs there's an interesting article on one of my former employers, Unisys, running massive overdrafts on a homeland security project. The best part is about charging $131/hour for a technical writer (what I did there) which is very funny. I don't remember making that much money....

On to the first day at the new job!

4 Comments:

Blogger sherzy said...

Whatever You Want Widgets - I like it. Good luck today!

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww...I didn't stick around long enough to talk about scary farm accidents...I knew the party would only get better after the nerd left! :-(

4:39 PM  
Blogger sherzy said...

Aww, Paul, we are all nerds too! Well, maybe not Jay. Or Laurie. Or anyone else who was there excet me...

4:52 PM  
Blogger changingagain said...

Hey, I'm a nerd too. I calculate my gas mileage for every tank down to two significant digits!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home