Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Training Is Over

I came to a great realization today. I think I actually sit closer to the door near the farthest parking lot so I should park there. It's not so important now but when it's 20 degrees below....

The other realization was that I have to start doing meaningful work tomorrow. A project manager came up to me in the hall and very politely told me that everyone on his project would like me to start the testing process right away. Could we have several meeting next week? I also have another meeting for a different project I have to cover which sounds more problematic.

I don't test, I force all the groups to figure out what they will test, document the dependencies, hardware and software, and then bug them until they do what they are supposed to do. I think there's some trouble shooting in there too. See! I have the 50,000 foot view down....just exactly how I do that will be a day-to-day learning experience. My problem is that the other person doing the job is considered to be nearly perfect so every time I don't know something or inevitably screw up they'll say "**** would have known that." Oh well.

I had fun at my manager's staff meeting. My manager has a great sense of humor and likes things to be loose so there was a lot of laughing and making fun of him which he seems to like. Nice people. We all had a really good laugh about the chicken coop they built to contain the smokers. They all said it was revolting and the smoke leaked into the adjacent building. I have to find that tomorrow.

I get up and walk all the time. If I go upstairs (there's five floors), I could probably walk for thirty minutes in the building. I guess there's a walking path outside but I haven't looked for it yet. It might be buried in snow in a month.

I used the library (there are a few in the building but I went to the main one), made it back to the coffee in the next building (where the only refrigerator in the complex is located), and signed up for a class. Sweetest of all, I worked my eight hours and took off, dropping the worries out of my mind as soon as went through that door. I can live with that.

Good news from the Widgets place. The dumbest waste of time web redesign project that I ever saw there launched on time tonight thanks to the hard work of several people whose skills were totally wasted. I apologize for assigning those people to those web sites. Please forgive me!

1 Comments:

Blogger sherzy said...

I love the WB. Don't worry I don't blame you.

The have a library there? Any Nancy Drew books? Can we ask you for legal advice now?

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home