Monday, February 20, 2006

Olympics Yet?....Not Yet

Today we had a "cultural presentation" at our group meeting. A guy from the Indian outsourcing company came to give us his perspective on Indian culture that would make it easier to work with his people.

Unfortunately, it was a Powerpoint presentation and there was no food, so he had two strikes against him. He also told us it wouldn't be a very worthwhile presentation if we didn't ask questions, but when people asked questions he was very curt. Strange.

Anyway, it had some interesting moments. First, he said to get to India, imagine getting on I-90, driving 8,500 east and arriving in New Delhi. Next he briefly explained the many differences in culture across India, touching on architecture and language.

At that point he talked about the educational system. Someone asked how much education costs, especially college. He replied that there were 40 rupee to a dollar and so it was cheaper there (Huh?). I asked what languages are used in education since there are eighteen official languages. He said you could learn in Hindi or English in primary school but after that it's strictly Engish.

Then he told us that the time difference between here and his home city was 11 and one-half hours. "Why is there a half-hour in there?" people asked. He mumbled something about longitude then said "It's so we don't have the same time as the Pakistanis." I guess it was a joke but I don't think the Pakistani guy in our group thought it was funny.

Then came the stereotypes section. Americans are like this, Indians are like that. The biggest thing we are supposed to watch for are Indian people on-site who smile and agree with everything we say--he said they just agree even if they think we're totally wrong. No wonder I thought I was brilliant whenever I talked to the Indians doing QA work.

My favorite point in this section was about the use of the word small. He said if an Indian tester says there is a small problem, something is seriously wrong. Likewise, if an Indian tester says he/she has a small suggestion, it means they have a major solution to all the problems. I have to remember that one.

The presentation wasn't gripping and some of the group were nodding off all through it. I thought it was worthwhile but it would have been even better with some Palek Paneer or an ice-cold Taj Mahal. If I head down to I-90 and start driving now, I'll make it back with the refreshments in time for next year's cultural presentation. Here I go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home