Monday, January 30, 2006

Automatic Email Deletion....Nooooo!

About two months ago everyone at my workplace (probably the whole corporation) received a friendly email explaining that the company had adopted a new email policy. In addition to limiting the size of everyone's mailbox, any emails more than three months old would be automatically deleted starting on a day in February.

I read through the email several times looking for the loophole, something like "emails you designate for follow up will not be deleted" or "this applies to everyone except technical project managers sitting on the south side of the really big building." There were no loopholes.

Yes, I know that you can create personal mailboxes on your computer and back them up in any number of ways. Yes, I agree that some people (e.g., me) keep more emails than they really need to. Yes, I know a corporation with tens of thousands of email users probably has to have a server room about the size of a stadium just to store all those emails.

But automatically deleting emails? When I expressed my horror about this, my manager just shrugged his shoulders--kind of a "whatever" shrug. No one else seems to think (or will say they think) that's it's creepy. What's next, deleting programs from your computer that you're really not supposed to have there? (I bring this up because I got a form letter asking me why I had Quicktime on my PC and suggesting, but not demanding, that I remove it.)

I've been adjusting. I created my personal folder, moved some files into it, and set up a search folder so I can look weekly and see what is going to be automatically deleted in the next week. I stopped complainly out loud since, after all, I've only been there three months and it's not a big problem for me.

It's just the principle of the thing, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home