Thursday, March 09, 2006

More Training

I went to a brown bag session today about CMMI. For those of you that aren't development geeks, it's the organizational maturity model that Carnegie Mellon University developed. The presenter was a director of the tech organization that is trying to move his organization to the second level, still immature but showing definite signs of progress. He was interesting and funny.

The maturity levels relate to how organizations use projects to organize their work and how they standardize those projects. The interesting thing about CMMI is that it doesn't tell an organization what to do, just helps them understand what they're doing and what they could start doing that would help save time and money and increase quality.

After it ended I walked up and told him I worked on ISO 9001 at Not Big Blue and wondered how it related to CMMI. He looked at me and said "Are you looking for a job?" I had no idea what to say in response. "Uh, no....not right now." Then he turned to talk to the organizer of the event. I still don't know if he was serious.

In the next two weeks I have four half days of training about the XML repository that is the basis of the company's future infrastructure. The training is in the small auditorium because there's so much demand so it won't be personal but there are good training materials.

I've managed to get through one module on my online project management course. I should be able to do at least one more tomorrow, maybe two.

I also have a half-day class coming up--intermediate Lawyers.com. I'm thinking about signing up for a class on negotiation for the next time it comes around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home