Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I have bad memory. Not "a" bad memory, bad memory sticks in my laptop at work. I started getting BSODs (blue screen of death) yesterday and called the tech support number, wondering where in the world I was calling. The guy who answered asked me some good questions, then said,"someone will be down right away." A guy came down in ten minutes (presumably not from India), goofed around with the computer for a while and then asked why there was 504K of RAM in my computer. Huh? He thought a memory stick was bad since it should have at least a gigabyte of memory. He told me he'd be by later to take care of it but didn't show up again today. I hope he straightens this out soon since I can only run a few programs at a time and if I run a program like Visio, the program crashes after a random amount of time, usually right before I remember to save what I'm doing.

There was a long excerpt (excerpt - what an awkward word) on Slashdot from a new book on Project Management. I read some of it and ordered the book. It's a common sense guide to managing projects and I think this guy really knows what he's talking about. All you aspiring project managers should read some of this. I'll be ready to loan the book out by next year.

I'm beginning my career development work. Step one was asking the company to pay for my membership in the Project Management secret society. I was told the company would pay for classes, books, memberships, and certification. Next step is to get myself qualified for certification. That may be harder than passing the test because I have to prove I've led projects for 4500 hours and get someone to back up my claims. Someone reading this blog may hear from me very soon.

I am now the proud owner of a major chunk of Whatever You Want Widgets stock. Ok, major for someone like me, tiny compared to the President/CEO, the guys on the Board, or the former leader of our company who now is driving people crazy at some other company. I'm open to sponsoring some shareholder resolutions so send me your ideas. I really want to show up for the next Board meeting in Minneapolis. This could be fun.

Lately I've been helping people figure out how much they are worth to a company. The related question is how the company should express their recognition of that value. I'll write about this when I've thought it through but send me any ideas you have.

1 Comments:

Blogger sadboy001 said...

Widgets stock, eh? Are they worth the paper they're written on? Are they on paper? Maybe I ought to get some.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home