Thursday, September 14, 2006

Spaced Out Presentation

So I went to one of my usual project manager meetings with my manager yesterday and no one else has shown up. He looked at me and said "We need to have this meeting because we HAVE to talk about this presentation now. You have to give it to the Project Management Office tomorrow afternoon."

Sirens go off in my head. When did I....oh shit, last week I said I would take the lead on a meeting. But I thought it was a meeting to talk about the presentation. I was stuck.

And I wasn't feeling too good--I think it's a sinus infection that's also messed up the rest of my systems. I had that almost-out-of-your-body spaciness that makes thinking or talking or anything else difficult.

So we talked about the two year old .ppt I was going to work from. There were things to add, language to clean up, and I had to collect a number of sample documents and make a training package.

I spent the afternoon working on the .ppt instead of doing some last minutes things on my project that's launching next week. I was sort of done when I left last night.

I came in today even spacier. I was so spacey that I went to a meeting I run without a pen or pencil. I didn't write anything down and certainly forgot everything before I got out the door.

I showed my manager the .ppt early in the afternoon. He said it was fine. I told him how spaced I was and he said "Well how are you going to do the presentation?" He suggested a lot of caffeine. But I told him I knew what to do...Dew.

(Does anyone else remember when Mountain Dew was marketed as a "country" drink--Yahoo! Mountain Dew?!)

I felt okay at show time. There was a poor turnout at the meeting (although all the senior PMs came) so it was very informal. My peers who were there thought it went well.

When I got back to my work area, I sat down and stared at my computer for thirty minutes until I could leave. Yay! Survived again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home