Monday, December 12, 2005

The Cart People

Before I talk about the cart people, I just want to say that I've been communicating with various people back at Widgets and I'm speechless. Give me a few days and I'll comment.

****

There are all sorts of people wandering through my company campus, keeping things working correctly and looking nice. There are cleaning people who periodically appear at bathrooms and kitchen areas and leave them spotless. There are tech support people who "come down" when you have IT problems and the person on the phone can't help. There's all sorts of food service people in the cafeterias and delivering food to meetings. There's even the plant people who water and wipe the multitude of plants everyday.

My favorite group is the cart people. Beginning on my first day of work I noticed that several times a day I would see someone casually pushing a small equipment cart down the hall. I never saw them stop anywhere or even saw a cart parked anywhere.

Were they from the help desk or doing cube setup? I didn't think so since I never saw them at anyone's cube. I was curious. I watched and waited for a clue.

A week into work I came upon a cart person lurking outside a meeting room. He was obviously hiding from the people in the room, poised behind his cart, waiting for something. I walked by slowly, watching, but nothing happened before I turned the corner.

Finally, two weeks into my job, I saw a cart person in action. A cart guy stopped, picked up a conference phone from the cart, carried it into a meeting room, plugged it in and left. Ah ha! The cart people are the ones that bring phones (the company doesn't have a conference phone in every meeting room since there are so many), projectors, DVD players and any other AV equipment you order for your meeting and then take it away when the meeting is done and take it somewhere else.

It doesn't seem like a bad job so I'm putting it on my list of possible future careers. Only one year until I can switch jobs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which part of Widgets is making you speechless?

The part where the people are angry because the programmers who have been working 18 hour days (including weekends) aren't here at 10:00pm?

Or was it something else?

2:21 PM  
Blogger changingagain said...

I hadn't heard that one. That makes me even more speechless...for the moment.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home