Monday, December 05, 2005

Monday was a big day for my latest project. I went to the weekly project meeting with the entire team and then I held my first quality meeting for an hour with the people that will test the project. This is a REALLY quiet group--I know they have all the information but they needed coaxing to get them to talk in the meeting. I did a lot of "So does anyone have any more dependencies? Anyone? Really, does anyone have any?" Kidding, but that's close to what it was like. I felt like I was back teaching my required writing class again with a room full of students staring at the floor.

I went to an hour presentation on billing, which is a big deal at my company. Someone in my group wanted to learn more about it so they suggested a training session for everyone who wanted to come and it was arranged. I learned a lot but they didn't finish the material. There's going to be a follow-up session.

Our lead group met to finish meeting about the meeting that we want to have every other Monday. We're all agreed now about what we're going to meet about and I actually think it'll be useful. Well, I hope so.

I had a nice talk with someone that works with one of the three types of content that the company sells--the type that no one was able to explain to me. She explained it all pretty easily and walked me through the process of migrating the content to XML, which is what she mainly does. The process is time consuming and gets held up in long queues and by random errors. She's working a lot of hours to try to get her section of the content converted by year end.

My business book quote today is from "Managing Today's Angry Workforce" by Florence Stone. Florence thinks the biggest causes of anger today are
- downsizing, or the threat of job loss
- the pressure to do more with less, or the loss of existing resources
- disempowerment, or the loss of control over work to be done
A lot of the essay is about the way people are acting out their anger in workplaces, but we know that in Minnesota there's just an increase in passive agressiveness. Anyone know what that looks like?

3 Comments:

Blogger sadboy001 said...

I like the business quotes. I hope it becomes a regular or semi-regular feature.

11:37 PM  
Blogger arah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Florence is right.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home