Sunday, December 04, 2005

Friday, I made progress on writing quality strategies for my projects and I'm about ready to put some of my documents on the intranet for my manager's review. I'm a bit nervous about it but I do think the documents are okay.

Also on Friday I went on a one hour tour of the company's printing plant and bindery. It was really fun to see the entire book printing process, following books from composition to plating to printing to binding. The operation is in a building as big as three football fields and runs 24 hours a day, every day of the week. I'm going on a data center tour next week.

I had another Widgets guest for lunch on Friday. People feel guilty if they leave the Widget headquarters for lunch since they are working long hours and all this weekend to launch all the projects coming up. The cruise ship blows people away when they visit but at this point I'm getting used to having all the amenities.

On Friday I received my Widgets stock certificate and an invitation to a special stockholders meeting in late December. I had a whole packet of information on the financial reorganization of the company, stuff I never would have been told if I was an employee. I'm going to carefully review the materials and maybe show up on that day to vote my astounding number of shares. I'm still thinking about a shareholder resolution.

I was thinking the other day that I often blog about Widgets and Not Big Blue, but rarely about prior jobs. A lot of them were short-term contract and freelance jobs and weren't particularly interesting. The only other long stretch I've done in my life was at the Going Postal Service. That was a long time ago and I can't think of much positive to write about from that experience except for learning some contract law during my three years as a union steward. If anything relevant comes up from this dark past, I'll try to remember to bring it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home