Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Not much time for blogging. I went to soccer from work and spent a lot of time before and after talking about the situation at Widgets with my former coworkers.

I still hear from people that even though Widgets is a hell hole, it's a cool place. I know when you're sitting there and there are some fun things going on (cool things invented by the workers, not the company), the hopeful person looks for the good stuff and says, "Well, it sucks but it's cool." Hey, no company is cool that has so little respect for people that it regularly demands all their time and energy to finish poorly conceived and planned projects.

At my new workplace we're having a serious discussion/disagreement about resources, testing and the launch date for a feature but it's a discussion that includes all the project people and starts with the idea that the feature MUST work correctly at launch. We'll come up with a consensus that we'll send to the upper management who, I'm told, will agree since the consensus will be well thought out and documented. That's the respect I look for in a workplace.

I wouldn't call my workplace "cool" but it's good for now. I don't think there's a perfect workplace, just places that give you more of what you need and want. You put in your five or six years and move on...

2 Comments:

Blogger sadboy001 said...

I don't think I'd describe Widgets as "cool", but sometimes we get to do cool things. Recently, it's become so hellish, the cool things may soon not be enough to tolerate the hellishness. I'm a glutton for punishment.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What really sucks is that when in the midst of the hellish-ness some co-workers get together and do things to make their work enviroment not so hell-ish, only to later be bawled out by upper management.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home