Monday, April 17, 2006

Busy? and Misc.

How busy do you need to be to be happy? Not very busy, kind of busy, very busy, or crazy busy? (What are the other words for busy?)

Some people like to hang out all the time (and somehow manage to keep their jobs) and some people (but not many) like to be manic all the time. I definitely like to be busy.

But busy is only one aspect of activity. Another critical aspect is the quality of your activity. Do you spend hours doing something only to have to undo it or do you actually finish and get some satisfaction out of it. Are you actually using your mind and learning or are you doing the equivalent of pasting stamps on envelopes? Are you busy because you fear the consequences of not being active or do you like what you're doing?

I'm busy most days now. I picked up an active project and I think I might pick up another one since one of my active projects went on hold. I'm constantly figuring out how to do things that I haven't done yet that are part of my job or trying to puzzle out an architecture.

I know I'm at the right level of busyness because on an average day I'm mostly meeting with people or I'm listening to tunes and cranking out various documents. I know I'm not too busy because I don't stay late to finish things (okay I did that once) and I sign up for classes and seminars that squeeze my time but keep increasing my skills. Oh yeah, I do get to eat lunch and take walks outside too.

Misc.

I completed a survey the other day at work about the facility services and won a drawing for a $50 gift certificate--the kind you can use at a bunch of different stores and restaurants. Very sweet.

We're going to have a reorganization very soon--a relatively small one as these things go. As a veteran of numerous reorgs at Not Big Blue, I know that you just wait for it all to finish and then figure out how it affects you and if you need to do something other than just accept it (which is what you usually have to do). The initial reports are that I won't be affected too much.

We're using soccer players from my new workplace on my coed rec team. There's a guy and woman who are really good and fun to have on the team.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate these insights. I think about this a lot. My problem is that I convince myself I have to be overscheduled so I won't be bored. Besides which, filling up time in order to stay busy is really not very productive. I don't know which is worse...oh, well.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home