Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Career Class

Last month I started watching for the new batch of class announcements. There are always skills classes and classes on the products but I've taken most of the ones I'm interested in. The less-frequent topical classes get announced periodically on the location web site and fill up fast--classes on topics like Negotiating, Influencing People, and Career Planning.

I took Career Planning last week. I didn't know too much about the class when I signed up but within a few days I received a thick envelope with a bunch of glossy workbooks. The class was bought by my company from one of those learning/career curriculum places.

I really liked the prework. First, I had to answer questions about what actions I've taken about my career. Second, I had to fill out a career interests workbook. Third, I had to use stickers to rate my work skills and behaviors as "Rough Edges," "Polished," or "(Needing) Continuous Improvement." I gave copies of the ratings booklet to three people I work with so they could rate me using the same stickers. Getting feedback from others is a big part of courses like this at Laws R Us and I really like getting that information.

The class was two half-days in the afternoon. I think it probably could be two days or maybe a day and half but there was enough time to go over how to understand the information we brought and to see what we could do with it.

There were four tables of people in the classroom, a mix of people from very different departments and some people from the field. The format was typical Laws R Us, the instructor walking through a topic which we then talked about at our tables or in different groups that she created. It seems funny that a class about your career would include group interaction but it worked.

What I really liked about the class was that we started with thinking about our values and how we want our job to be in line with our values. There were a few people that had "Move Up Through Management" as their number one value but almost everyone else had "Be Content at My Job" or "Have Enough Time for Friends and Families."

We graded our workbooks. My score was low on career work--researching, networking, etc. I have to try harder to learn, look, and also to leverage my network.

The self-assessment versus co-worker assessment comparison was really interesting. Generally, my peers rated me higher on my skills than I did. I think there was only one area that I rated myself higher than they did so that's an area I need to look at. We created a plan for following up with our raters. Overall it's good news for my 360 degree job review that is just beginning.

At that point we had all the pieces to create a development plan...and we were out of time. How can I make myself do that when there's no pressure to finish it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home