Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I Applied for Another Job

Well I celebrated my year anniversary at Laws R Us this week. I couldn't believe a year had gone by.

At our group meeting on Monday I was awarded the one-year anniversary recognition gift--a nice pen. My manager told me I had to tell the group what my best moment was during my first year. Put on the spot like that I couldn'think of anything interesting or humorous so I just said it was the free fruit. I think now the best thing was probably going home after eight hours and not even thinking about work but I don't know if that would have been an appropriate thing to say in front of all the new employees in our group.

Since I've completed a year in my job, I started thinking about what else I might like to do in the company, expecting that job search to take months. In my department it's often said that management doesn't expect you to stay in any job for more than a couple of years. I began a regular scan of my company's job listings, both for my Widgets friends and for myself.

Amazingly, I quickly found a job that was a promotion and would use my web skills. I asked around and found out that the proper way to apply for another job in the company was to talk to your manager first, then apply online. I was nervous about that--what manager wants employees telling them that they want to take a job somewhere else. But my manager was very professional about it and even offered to find out more about the organization I was going to apply to.

Luckily there wasn't much updating to do on my resume. A quick, enthusiastic cover letter and it was done. Now the waiting.....

2 Comments:

Blogger fireman236 said...

Good luck Dude!

9:47 AM  
Blogger sherzy said...

Can't believe it has been a year already!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home