Friday, December 01, 2006

Winter Holidays at Law R Us

Right after Thanksgiving they put up the holiday stuff at work. For those of us that aren't the majority religion, it's very refreshing.

Holiday banners are hung from the ceilings near the main doorways. The banners are probably ten feet long since the following holidays are listed on them along with appropriate symbols:

Chinese New Year
Christmas
Hanukah
Diwali
Ramadan
Hmong New Years

In addition to the banners, there are small tables put in the public areas with items symbolic of these holidays. There's a Hanukah menorah but also a couple other candle things--one is for Diwali and I don't know about the other one--and some dishes with something in them. I stopped at one of those tables once and tried to figure out each item was but nothing is labeled. I should put in a suggestion to the Diversity Council to label that stuff.

Of course there is still a Christmas tree in the big lobby with fake presents and wreaths in strategic places. I don't think you'll ever see that go away even if a large percentage of the people have last names reminiscent of South Asia.

The company has one big company event which consists of thousands of people streaming through the cafeteria for a drink and some appetizers. There's usually a jazz band playing too. It's time away from the usual routine so people generally go, even if they skip the appetizers. I think last year the Moose coffee shop also gave away free holiday drinks but the lines for their free stuff are too long for me.

Our organization is having a bowling afternoon for our winter holiday party (we did a big picnic thing during the summer). We did the same thing at Widgets during our first year as a big Production group and once as the company's yearly party. It should be fun.

Our group is having a massive potluck. It's been organized in terms of "booths" with themes, as in the "Indian booth." The booths are spread out over two group areas on two floors plus one booth isolated way at the end of the building. That, of course, is the Healthy/Natural Booth where I'm taking my spicy noodles. I can't believe people are going to walk down the hallway with plates of food past all the other groups so I'm expecting a lot of leftovers.

There's also a kids party on a Saturday. I guess thousands of kids are brought here which seems scary but the company has been doing it for decades so I'm told it's well managed and also fun.

I don't have much vacation left for December but I will get two long weekends. Imagine, using all my vacation! I never got to do that Widgets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home