Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Food and Learning

Today was holiday pot luck day. Considering that I work in a place with a wide diversity of national backgrounds, it was disappointing that it was the same potluck you see everywhere in the upper midwest. There was the usual section of meatballs, cocktail weiners, and sloppy joes in crock pots, a macaroni and cheese section and the required pasta salad section next to the standard veggies and dip. The only interesting thing was a delicious carrot desert that you see in Indian restaurants. I did my usual peanut/sesame spicy noodles, which got some good comments--I put a lot more hot stuff in this year and it was way better than previous versions.

Yesterday was Sri Lanka day and the Diversity committee put on a lunchtime event. First there was a tabla player and slides of Sri Lanka, then food and a talk about the country. I didn't stay for the whole thing but it was nice.

Today they had a three hour play about the life of Thurgood Marshall that the lawyers went to for continuing learning credits. I was going to go for a few minutes just to see what it was like but I never got around to it.

Tomorrow, I have an entire day of class on the legal and regulatory system. That sounds like what they tried to teach me in high school but now I work with these public records every day so I really do need to understand them. The teacher is the same one I had for my product intro course--she's funny, explains things well, and moves things along. I'm looking forward to it.

I also signed up for a 20 hour project management class that will take me very close to my certification requirement for project management. Well, close to the classroom requirement.

I did have plenty of time today to download Firefox 1.5 and a bunch of extensions that were talked about in Wired. The weather extension is nice but I'm not sure about del.icio.us. I'm intrigued by the extension for adding your own JavaScript to pages but I didn't have time to figure that out. More stuff to play with when I have time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home