Thursday, January 19, 2006

How soon do new things get old?

As I took a Widgeteer for a tour at lunch time today, it occured to me that I no longer saw my work place with the eyes of an outsider or even a newbie. Am I taking the cruise ship for granted after only three months? Do I feel like it is (yawn) just another place to work?

Let's look at how I relate now to some things I blogged about during my first weeks.

- The building that seemed as big as the sMall of America is just a big building in which I can find any person or room with a little wandering. That's how everyone does it. The stairs are now part of my regular workout program.

- I've bought something from every station in the fancy cafeteria but I usually go for the tacos or the salad bar, not the fancy stuff. I also use the less fancy and less crowded cafeteria that the manufacturing people use in another building.

- I've taken two classes and I am signed up for three more, one of which is four hours a day for a week. They've been great so far. I check out books from the library occasionally but I do wander through the new book displays once a week.

- I park in almost the same place every day in the third parking lot from the door and don't try to work out schemes to park closer. I've only used the shuttle during storms.

- I try not to hit the coffee shop too much, usually only going when I'm nodding off AND there's a barista on duty that knows that a dry capucino has a lot less milk than a latte. (This relates to the Coffee Shop Cult that I'll blog about very soon.)

- I love getting the free fruit but I often forget to pick it up.

So I've developed my way of relating to the amenities. Does that mean I don't appreciate them? I don't think so. I know this is the nicest place I've ever worked in and may become the nicest place I ever worked in so I continue to appreciate these things even if I (yawn) don't get as excited as I did that first week.

1 Comments:

Blogger sherzy said...

Fun review. Still can't believe the free fruit- awesome ammenity

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home