Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I haven't blogged for days! I've been going through the painful process of trying to get my new G5 and two LCDs working the way we want them to. I've already returned a Samsung LCD because text looked terrible on the display. I have a better samsung 19" with the G5 which is okay but now we have a Neovo with the G4 and it's still sketchy but maybe as good as a relatively inexpensive LCD is going to get. Any suggestions?

I had my Goals and KSF (key success factor) workshop today. You write goals that state what you will DO this year (more general, not specific things) and how that will help the department and the company. Then you write these ksfs that say HOW you will do your job. There's a matrix that explains how each level of employee should be doing things in the areas of problem solving, collaboration, etc.

The year end review then becomes a reading of your goals and ksfs. Your manager gives you a number for each goal (degress of completing it) and agrees or disagrees with your ksf writeup. My manager said he presumes I'll do what I'm supposed to so most of the discussion will be about how I did the job. For example, I could write up strategy documents just sitting at my desk and emailing people but I should be calling meetings and having one-on-one discussions.

It sounds horrendous and I didn't understand it until the workshop, but it's mostly straightforward. I'm going to write goals with my peer since we do the same job so that'll be easy. The ksf matrix is quite large so I have to figure out how much of that I really have to deal with and if I'm doing things at or above my level.

Meanwhile we're all writing some goals that will be magically converted in a consolidated goal for the department. I'm also saying I'll help the department improve in the areas of training and communication, although I'm not sure how.

This is typical big company stuff but they presented it well and it's a better way to review people than the mostly worthless guidelines I was using at Widgets (when we did reviews) or the phony self-reviews at Not Big Blue. Who knows, maybe I'll learn something I can use on my next job!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home