Thursday, December 15, 2005

This week I was encouraged to sign up for one Saturday this year as the representative of my organization for the monthly software release. It's actually two Saturdays since I have to shadow someone before I "solo." It's surprising that they would trust me to do it but I'm okay with it. I did the same sort of thing for years at Widgets during launches except now I'll be coordinating people who are testing the software as soon as it's launched.

My group is going to grow quite a bit in 2006. That's mainly tester jobs, testers being programmers who really like detail. A lot of the work is writing the test cases then scripting them in various ways. They pay pretty well and it's a very nice, well run group. If you're interested let me know.

I met another ex-coworker of mine as I was walking up the stairs to lunch. We both stopped, pointed at each other and said the same name out loud. (He has the same first name as me.) We were both tech writers at Not Big Blue. In fact he and I did a presentation together in San Francisco at a Sun Jump Start conference. He left there pretty soon after I did and has been at Laws R Us since. The tech writing group at Laws has seem a lot of turnover and turmoil (normal for tech writing groups) so he's had good and bad times there. That's four ex-coworkers from Not Big Blue that I've found.

One more observation. I've ridden the parking lot shuttle busses twice since they started running in late November. What I've noticed is that even in bad weather (I rode it when it rained and when it snowed the other day) the bus is almost all women. The men just trudge through it, which I normally also do.

The other interesting thing is that even though a lot of people ride the bus in from the parking lots, not many people get on the waiting busses at the end of the day to ride back out to the parking lots. I still haven't figured that out. Anyone have any theories?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home